At a recent family reunion, my Uncle Bob and Aunt Susan brought a Tomato Pie. It sounds horrible, but it’s the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten. They sent the recipe, and now I’m sharing it with you. This is almost guaranteed to cause a heart attack, but you’ll die happy.
Tomato Pie – Theresa McKeegan
- Make crust (or buy deep-dish pie crust)
- Tomato slices: 5-8 med. tomatos, sliced thin
- Parmesan cheese
- ½-1 cup green onions
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cups shredded cheese (jack & cheddar)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ½-1 cup mayo
- salt & pepper
- 10 strips bacon, fried & crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Melt and mix cream cheese with mayo.
- Mix the green onions, basil, salt, pepper and shredded cheese into the mayo mixture.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese onto bottom of crust to cover.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Raise temperature to 400°.
- Alternate layers of tomatoes and cheese mixture until pie is filled.
- Sprinkle with bacon crumbles.
- Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.