<GEEK> I was complaining to Steve this weekend about Annie’s computer (once I got all the computers booting again, and the OS’s reinstalled, Annie’s never quite worked right again… It was a real odd set of bugs, that didn’t happen consistantly, and happened most frequently on Internet Explorer. I had come to the conclusion that it had something to do with the motherboard, due to some odd experiences I’d had while trying to get the OS installed). Steve asked if I’d swapped the memory around, and I said that I had, but it hadn’t accomplished anything, and I was thinking about just trying to sell the box on ebay to cut my losses.
Last night, I started wondering if I’d missed something, so I opened Annie’s box and started testing out the RAM. Sure enough, that was the problem. I’d moved the chips around, but I hadn’t actually tried using only one at a time.
After a bit more research, it turns out the problem was that they were different SPEEDS of RAM. I didn’t know that the different speeds were incompatable, but I guess they are. So once I made sure Annie’s computer only had PC133 RAM, it started acting better. I’m still going to keep an eye on it for a week or two, but it looks like that was the problem. Now I just need to get the sound card working, and I’ll have three stable computers again! </GEEK>